Africa-Press – Zimbabwe. Rescue operations for the six miners trapped in a mineshaft at Matshetshe Mine in Esigodini last week are yet to commence because such an undertaking would be dangerous, police have said.
National police spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi on Tuesday said police were working with the local authority and the Department of Civil Protection to try and rescue the miners. Said Nyathi:
We are working with various stakeholders including the Umzingwane Rural District Council, the district development co-ordinator and the Ministry of Mines to try and retrieve the trapped miners.
So far, the Ministry of Mines has highlighted that the mine is flooded and the ground is wet. This risks the further collapse of the mine.
So the Department of Civil Protection (DCP) will issue a report on the rescue, but as it stands, there are no rescue operations which have been conducted.
The trapped mineworkers have been identified as Nkosilathi Ndlovu (29), Blessed Ncube (24), Christopher Dube (23), Ndumiso Dube (age not known), Ndumiso Ntini from Lupane and one only identified as Mlilo from Gwanda.
This Wednesday marks the eighth day since the miners were trapped in a mineshaft collapse.