Bindura Mine Collapse Update: 2 Bodies Recovered

Bindura Mine Collapse Update: 2 Bodies Recovered
Bindura Mine Collapse Update: 2 Bodies Recovered

Africa-PressZimbabwe. Rescuers at Ran Mine in Bindura on Sunday recovered the body of Wellington House, a volunteer rescuer tripped into the shaft and another body on Monday afternoon.

Mashonaland Central Provincial Development Coordinator, Mr Timothy Maregere, said the burial of the 34-year-old will be state-sponsored. This was confirmed by the secretary for Information, Nick Mangwana who tweeted:

The hero rescuer who fell into Ran Mine tunnel, Mr Wellington House will be buried with government assistance. A coffin has been supplied as well as various food items for feeding mourners. Nyaradzo has donated tents and mobile toilets for use.

Another body that was retrieved is of Edmore Tsongodza, popularly known as Byca in Bindura. The body was recovered on Monday afternoon and was taken to Bindura Hospital Mortuary.

Acting Mashonaland Central police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Fidelis Dhewu yesterday confirmed the retrieval operation. Dhewu said:

Two bodies have been retrieved so far and efforts to get others are still on-going.

The number of artisanal miners presumed to have been trapped underground when Ran Mine collapsed on 25 November is estimated at 30 or more.

Reports say a blast was heard from the mine before the collapse of the mine suggesting that the miners were probably using explosives.

Experts say the explosives could have caused the collapse considering that the ground was shaky following the recent rains.

More: The Herald; NewsDay

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here