1. A total of seven hundred and seventy-nine new cases of coronavirus have been recorded in Nigeria.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, said Lagos State recorded 285 cases, while Rivers State followed with 68 cases.
2. Bola Tinubu, National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, on Saturday stated his position on the dissolution of the party’s National Working Committee, NWC. In a statement he personally signed, the former Lagos State governor lamented that the party has been plagued with conflicts over leadership but that it will remain stronger despite the setback. Tinubu further pledged his loyalty to Buhari and the APC. He said party interest should supersede individual interests. He also downplayed his alleged 2023 presidential ambition.
3. The United States’ Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) has declared six Nigerians wanted over their alleged involvement in fraudulent activities estimated at over $6m (N2.3bn).
According to the agency, the suspects are; Richard Izuchukwu Uzuh, Alex Afolabi Ogunshakin, Felix Osilama Okpoh, Abiola Ayorinde Kayode, and Nnamdi Orson Benson.
4. The Nigerian Army said its troops have neutralized a notorious bandits’ leader in Zamfara State, Hassan Dan Tagwaye, and his twin brother, Husaini.Dan Tagwaye.
The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Major General John Ehenche, said the bandits’ leader and his twin brother were killed in the Domboru forest in Zurmi Local Government Area of the state.
5. As the COVID-19 pandemic hits its peak in Ondo State, Resident Doctors at the University of Medical Sciences Teaching Hospital, UNIMETH, have been sacked by the state government.
According to the memo dated June 23, 2020, the Resident Doctors directly employed by the hospital were advised to seek continuation of their training in other institutions where there is an ongoing residency programme.